Help for My Brother

I grew up in an environment where drinking and smoking is just a normal thing to do…especially if you’re grown up. I can still remember my father asking me to buy him a beer or two in a nearby store almost every night. I thought it was ok, I thought every father does that…as I grew older…I began to see a clear picture. My dad is suffering from alcohol addiction – also known as alcoholism.

He is not the only one who became one – even my older brother was hooked into it…worse – he turns into a different person whenever he is sober. He initiates arguments and doesn’t think twice to hurt someone if under the influence of alcohol. The addiction was so strong that it became a daily habit – a very bad habit. Slowly, he is losing his job…his family…his self respect. Everyone he loves turned their backs on him,except her mother, who never left him especially when he was admitted to the hospital due to a certain liver disease.

Some people on our neighborhood is also saying that he is alsi hooked up in drug addiction. Though I don’t really know for sure if that’s true, I feel that it’s better to get help the soonest possible time than be sorry. I’ve discussed this matter to my mother. My mom’s heart broke as she listens to the story. I would never want to see my mom like that but I need to tell her the truth so we could make some plans on how to help my brother. I asked for her opinion about sending him to a drug rehabilitation center. I’ve learned that there are a number of institutions such as New Mexico rehab that helps patients get rid of the substance. I believe they do offer several treatment programs that would help my brother to eventually turn back to drug addiction. I hope this would help him get a second chance in life.

No comments: